Initial Apple Studio Display NotesMarch 21st, 2022 • filed under Journal
Taken from a twitter thread where I first posted these bullets.
- As far as ergo goes, it’s like 2” shy in height using the fixed stand. So close.
- I don’t think I would have felt +$400 was a good value-solution (just made up that term, it’s free)
- I had forgotten that it only plays nice with macOS Monterey. My work Macbook was still on Big Sur and decided 1920x1080 was the “default” resolution. After a bunch of updating, that resolved itself.
- I would have appreciated one more TB port on the back. Right now I have it hooked up to my CalDigit TS3+, whereas I would have enjoyed it the other way around. Also not a big deal, as it’s a daisy-chain either way.
- They were right. The camera kind of sucks right now.
- I never had the LG UltraFine 5K, so I can’t compare, but the colors on the SD are great, it’s bright enough, and the regular anti-glare option is good enough. I probably wouldn’t want a window behind me, but that’s not a thing for me, so ¯_(ツ)_/¯.
- I’m so happy I can live at 2560x1440 @ 2x, now. I’m literally giving up 2x LG 4k 27” monitors for this one 5K 27” because I didn’t use the extra real estate as much as I thought I would and having a single screen is helping with focus. Added bonus of everything on-screen being right-sized from the start.
I've spent all of about 12 hours in front of my Studio Display and have some notes. 1/x— jöhnathan.usd (@_johlym) March 21, 2022