This is a collection of notes I’ve taken since our first child was born. While always incomplete, it’s helpful for me to look back at as she ages and hopefully someone else finds these bits helpful, too.
- There is no such thing as too many diapers.
- There is no such thing as enough diapers.
- (US) Get a Costco membership. Their diaper prices are hyper-competitive.
- Figure out a shift schedule for sleeping as early as possible.
- If you have leave options, don't feel bad for taking as much as you can.
- Frustration is normal; this is new and routines were upended suddenly.
- Find ways to be helpful wherever possible; the baby's mother is under a lot of stress of her own right now.
- The stress means you're human.
- You're doing the best you can.
- Take more leave than you think you'll need. That N weeks will sneak up on you fast and you'll wish you took more.
- Find people to share your stories with.
- The first year is going to blow by. When it's over, you'll likely only remember the best parts. Your brain will have sequestered the sleepless nights, sadness, frustration, and anger.
- Continue to do the best you can.
- You're doing a great job.
- When they start to walk, you'll wish they were still crawling.
- When they start to talk, you'll wish they were still babbling.
- When they start to run, you'll wish they were still walking.
- When they start to read, you'll be dumfounded by how quickly they're learning.
- Every moment you see them doing something new for the first time feels like a straight dopamine hit.
- Their first boo-boo is the saddest one.
- Start teaching them things you're interested in early.
- I've started showing our daughter the various tools in the garage. I also take her to the home improvement store with me and show her all the things there.
- Watching her say the word "level" or "hammer" for the first time is almost too much to handle in the moment.
Vaguely tracking a few things.
- Total: -3753+
- DPD: ~6.85 dpd
- Size newborn: 265
- Size one: 450
- Size two: 696
- Size three: 1152
- Size four: 1044+
- Size five: 144+