Presented with limited commercial interruption by:
So I received my new Macbook Pro, today, thanks to the wonderful folks at UPS. It’s in my hands now and I’m super excited. I’ve only spent about 20 minutes with it so far and here are a few things that stand out to me from the start:
- When spinning up FileFault encryption from the initial setup screen, expect the mac to get warm.
- Inital estimation on how long FileVault would take was six days.
- I LOLed.
- One cannot upgrade to El Capitan without FileVault complete. This cannot be stopped mid-process, ergo:
- One should not enable FileVault from the start if they plan on upgrading directly to El Capitan.
- That Screen.
- That read/write speed.
- The power cord is much easier to dislodge than the older pre-retina Macbook Pros. This is something I will have to get used to.
- Not having a 2nd spinning drive makes this system near silent. I can’t really hear it, now, even though it’s a small furnace at the moment with all the disk I/O.
That’s all that jumped out at me right away. When File Vault is done, I’ll follow up with disk benchmarks. I’m looking forward to seeing how wide that canyon is.