So I received my new Macbook Pro, today, thanks to the wonderful folks at UPS. It’s in my hands now and I’m super excited. I’ve only spent about 20 minutes with it so far and here are a few things that stand out to me from the start:
- When spinning up FileFault encryption from the initial setup screen, expect the mac to get warm.
- Inital estimation on how long FileVault would take was six days.
- I LOLed.
- One cannot upgrade to El Capitan without FileVault complete. This cannot be stopped mid-process, ergo:
- One should not enable FileVault from the start if they plan on upgrading directly to El Capitan.
- That Screen.
- That read/write speed.
- The power cord is much easier to dislodge than the older pre-retina Macbook Pros. This is something I will have to get used to.
- Not having a 2nd spinning drive makes this system near silent. I can’t really hear it, now, even though it’s a small furnace at the moment with all the disk I/O.
That’s all that jumped out at me right away. When File Vault is done, I’ll follow up with disk benchmarks. I’m looking forward to seeing how wide that canyon is.
This article is over a year old, that's entirely possible.
I've made many changes to this site over the last few years and sometimes things get missed when I sweep for updates. I wrote this post 999 days ago and might need updating or we're in a situation where I've explained something that is no longer accurate. If you found something incorrect or needs refreshing, let me know and I'll get it fixed.
No ad available
Something went wrong and nothing could be rendered here.